Forum: Off Topic English: "regulation" vs. "control"

von none (Guest)

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Could a native speaker please elaborate on the usage of above terms?
The German equivalent is "Regelung" in the sense of closed-loop control.
The other meaning is more in the sense of an agreement or rules/law that 
I would translate as "regulation".
But, it also seems to be used for technical "stuff" e.g. 

Then, there is the German word "Steuerung" in the sense of open-loop 
control, but I think there's no single-word equivalent.

Dictionary sites usually don't reveal the nuances at first sight.


von Stephen A. (stephenadams)

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
The answer is we call them controls as they are visible "handles" to 
make something remote happen.
I have download the german version and was looking for a replacement 
english version, and an english manual that would help me to make more 
"meters", as I do not think the current ones would sit happily with my 
I want a slider that is left/right, rather than up/down.
I also want a steering wheel!


Entering an e-mail address is optional. If you want to receive reply notifications by e-mail, please log in.

Rules — please read before posting

  • Post long source code as attachment, not in the text
  • Posting advertisements is forbidden.

Formatting options

  • [c]C code[/c]
  • [avrasm]AVR assembler code[/avrasm]
  • [code]code in other languages, ASCII drawings[/code]
  • [math]formula (LaTeX syntax)[/math]

Bild automatisch verkleinern, falls nötig
Note: the original post is older than 6 months. Please don't ask any new questions in this thread, but start a new one.