EmbDev.net

Forum: FPGA, VHDL & Verilog From java to FPGA (general concept)


Author: Junior Hpc (Company: University) (junior_hpc)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Hello everybody. I would like to develop a word counter for my FPGA 
starting from Java but I'm not sure how to proceed. The idea is to 
create a Java circuit description of the application using JHDL in order 
to generate the netlist and then push it into my FPGA. Is it how the 
steps should go?

Author: Lothar Miller (lkmiller) (Moderator)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Junior H. wrote:
> The idea is to create a Java circuit description of the application
> using JHDL in order to generate the netlist
What toolchain is able to handle this?
In what manner is Java suitable to describe hardware?

Author: rm (Guest)
Posted on:

Rate this post
1 useful
not useful
After creating the EDIF netlist, you will need to run the FPGA vendor's 
tools which convert an EDIF netlist to a bitstream. In case of Xilinx, 
these might be the Alliance or Foundation tools. At any rate, the 
execution of these tools is outside the scope of this JHDL getting 
started guide and will be specific to your FPGA site setup.

more on:
http://www.jhdl.org/documentation/starter.html

Author: Junior Hpc (Company: University) (junior_hpc)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Lothar M. wrote:
> Junior H. wrote:
>> The idea is to create a Java circuit description of the application
>> using JHDL in order to generate the netlist
> What toolchain is able to handle this?
> In what manner is Java suitable to describe hardware?

JHDL is a software that given a Java hardware description as parameter 
(basically are java files that contains methods to describe input, 
output and behaviour of hardware components) it outputs a netlist.
more on: http://www.jhdl.org/documentation/starter.html

rm wrote:
> After creating the EDIF netlist, you will need to run the FPGA vendor's
> tools which convert an EDIF netlist to a bitstream. In case of Xilinx,
> these might be the Alliance or Foundation tools. At any rate, the
> execution of these tools is outside the scope of this JHDL getting
> started guide and will be specific to your FPGA site setup.
>
> more on:
> http://www.jhdl.org/documentation/starter.html

I have a Xilinx Artix 7. I Should use Vivado, isn't it? Anyway, guessing 
from your posts it seems the right direction.

Thanks to you all.

Reply

Entering an e-mail address is optional. If you want to receive reply notifications by e-mail, please log in.

Rules — please read before posting

  • Post long source code as attachment, not in the text
  • Posting advertisements is forbidden.

Formatting options

  • [c]C code[/c]
  • [avrasm]AVR assembler code[/avrasm]
  • [vhdl]VHDL code[/vhdl]
  • [code]code in other languages, ASCII drawings[/code]
  • [math]formula (LaTeX syntax)[/math]




Bild automatisch verkleinern, falls nötig
Note: the original post is older than 6 months. Please don't ask any new questions in this thread, but start a new one.