Neural Network on Xilinx Virtex 5

OP #5745198
Rate this post
• ▲ useful
▼ not useful
Hello, I am trying to build a Neural Network on Xilinx  Virtex 5, that I 
will feed it with images from this camera: OV7670 and train it in order 
to determine if the person in the camera is man or woman. Is there any 
VHDL core capable of implementing this processing? Ideally I would try 
to achieve real-time (delay = 1-2 sec) to decide if the picture shows 
man or woman. The camera I have bought is the OV7670, which takes 
640x480 pictures. Can it work or I need a megapixel camera? I have, 
also, found a High Definition 14 MegaPixel USB camera from ebay, and I 
want to interface it with Virtex 5. Is something feasible? Where to 
start from?  In the same FPGA I have to put, also, the core of the 
neural network and the core of the serial interface, which will output 
man or woman. I am thinking of CNN.
Thank you...
Guest #5746430
Rate this post
• ▲ useful
▼ not useful
This is way too vague. What kind of research have you done on that topic 
on your own?
Have you worked with neural networks before?
Do the persons cover the whole frame? Will you classify based on full 
height, upper body, just face?
It is certainly possible, but you can't rely on the forum implementing 
every step.
Guest #5746731
Rate this post
• ▲ useful
▼ not useful
A. S. is right. Training a Neural Network is the hard part that takes a 
lot of computational power.
Once you have the trained network (that is a set of weights for the 
non-linear nodes), the actual implementation is relatively light-weight.
Guest #5746754
Rate this post
• ▲ useful
▼ not useful
Reeading your questions I suggest you start small and start reading 
about neural networks and train some yourself on your computer. After 
you've covered the basics, you may be able to form a clearer mental 
picture of what you need to do to implement neural networks on an FPGA.
For starters, read the chapter about neural networks in Bishop's 
"Machine learning and pattern recognition" (you may be able to find the 
pdf online) and do Google's Machine Learning Crash Course.

Reply

Note: the original post is older than 6 months. Please don't ask any new questions in this thread, but start a new one.

Formatting
  • [c]C-Code[/c]
  • [vhdl]VHDL-Code[/vhdl]
  • [code]code in other languages, ASCII drawings[/code]
  • [math]formula (LaTeX syntax)[/math]
  • [[Title]] – link to an article
  • Link to another post: right-click its post ID (#8078628), copy the address, paste it into the text

More about formatting

Post long source code as an attachment, not in the text.

Already registered? Log in

Not shown to anyone. We send you a link; your post appears once you confirm it there.

By submitting you create a free account and accept the terms of use.