EmbDev.net

Forum: ARM programming with GCC/GNU tools GNUARM - Trying to compile code for my arm project


von Felipe U. (uderman)


Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Hello all,

My objective is to compile C code for my arm plataform, LPC2138 from
Philips, on my Linux (Ubuntu 7.04) host. I have used WinArm before, and
everything worked fine on windows. But I am a bit lost to use the GNUARM
tools on linux, maybe that's becouse I am a new Linux user.

SO I believe that what I need is a cross compiller for ARM, right? I
have download the binaries of the GNUARM on this link:
http://www.gnuarm.com/bu-2.16.1_gcc-4.0.2-c-c++_nl-1.14.0_gi-6.4_x86-64.tar.bz2

I have decompressed those files, and found that the bin directory
contains the same files that I used on winarm to compile the example
codes ported. But I can not execute those files. When I try to use any
of those tools, I got an error saying that it is impossible to execute
the binary file.

I don't know what to do to solve this problem, so I am here asking for
help. I also don't know if I have to do any aditional thing to install
the GNUARM toolchain then just umpacking it.

I would also like to have the confirmation that GNUARM is usefull for
the propose of developing code for my ARM plataform on linux.

Thank you for any help,

Felipe.

von Martin T. (mthomas) (Moderator)


Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Felipe Uderman wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My objective is to compile C code for my arm plataform, LPC2138 from
> Philips, on my Linux (Ubuntu 7.04) host.

Which processor IA32 IA64?

> ...
> I don't know what to do to solve this problem, so I am here asking for
> help. I also don't know if I have to do any aditional thing to install
> the GNUARM toolchain then just umpacking it.

Maybe the GNUARM binaries are incomptible with you host (architecture,
libc).

What is the output from: "file arm-elf-gcc" (without quotes)

You may try the codesourcery tools
http://www.codesourcery.com/gnu_toolchains/arm/download.html
target arm-eabi, host IA32 Linux

> I would also like to have the confirmation that GNUARM is usefull for
> the propose of developing code for my ARM plataform on linux.

So far I have only used the codesourcery-package on Linux a little bit
(2006-q3 edition on IA32 runnin Debian sarge) so I can not comment on
GNUARM. But GNUARM should work too, maybe you can ask in the GNUARM
yahoo-group.

Martin Thomas

von Felipe U. (uderman)


Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Hi Martin, thank you for your repply.

Martin Thomas wrote:

> Which processor IA32 IA64?

IA32.


> What is the output from: "file arm-elf-gcc" (without quotes)

I have removed it, so I can't test is right now :). But I will install
it again to try to make it work, and then I  will post here this output.

>
> You may try the codesourcery tools
> http://www.codesourcery.com/gnu_toolchains/arm/download.html
> target arm-eabi, host IA32 Linux

Thais one worked, thank you!


> So far I have only used the codesourcery-package on Linux a little bit
> (2006-q3 edition on IA32 runnin Debian sarge) so I can not comment on
> GNUARM. But GNUARM should work too, maybe you can ask in the GNUARM
> yahoo-group.

Yes, it should work, maybe it is just incompatible with my system. There
are other ARM toolchains out there, it is just a matter of choosing one
that works better. I would like to use GNUARM, but I believe the
codesourcery one will do.

I will try to make it work on my system just for reference, will post my
results  here latter for reference.

Felipe Uderman

Reply

Entering an e-mail address is optional. If you want to receive reply notifications by e-mail, please log in.

Rules — please read before posting

  • Post long source code as attachment, not in the text
  • Posting advertisements is forbidden.

Formatting options

  • [c]C code[/c]
  • [avrasm]AVR assembler code[/avrasm]
  • [code]code in other languages, ASCII drawings[/code]
  • [math]formula (LaTeX syntax)[/math]




Bild automatisch verkleinern, falls nötig
Note: the original post is older than 6 months. Please don't ask any new questions in this thread, but start a new one.