EmbDev.net

Forum: FPGA, VHDL & Verilog Arcade Centipede Game in Verilog


Author: Asiong Martinez (Company: Student) (asiongmartinez12)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Hi. I'm actually really new on verilog and I need to have a game 
designed in verilog. I propose having the arcade game CENTIPEDE that 
needed to be recreated in verilog please help me on this part.

Author: Lothar Miller (lkmiller) (Moderator)
Posted on:

Rate this post
1 useful
not useful
Asiong M. wrote:
> I propose having the arcade game CENTIPEDE that needed to be recreated
> in verilog please help me on this part.
Start with simple tasks. A flashing LED or a chasing light will be 
enough for the first weekend.

> I propose having the arcade game CENTIPEDE that needed to be recreated
> in verilog please help me on this part.
On what kind of display?
If VGA, then start (after having finished the chasing light) with 
displaying a chess-board or a grid on the screen.
Then display a token on the screnn and move it. After that implement a 
kind of memory and collision detection.

> I propose having the arcade game CENTIPEDE that needed to be recreated
With what controller?

> I'm actually really new on verilog
How much time do you have for the exercise?

Author: Asiong Martinez (Company: Student) (asiongmartinez12)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
I'm going to perform it on a De1/DE2 board, FPGA, with VGA as an 
output... I only have less than a month before I submit this. Please 
help me with the coding.. Please

Author: Asiong Martinez (Company: Student) (asiongmartinez12)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Lothar M. wrote:
> Asiong M. wrote:
>> I propose having the arcade game CENTIPEDE that needed to be recreated in 
verilog please help me on this part.
> Start with simple tasks. A flashing LED or a chasing light will be  enough for 
the first weekend.

>> I propose having the arcade game CENTIPEDE that needed to be recreated in 
verilog please help me on this part.
> On what kind of display? If VGA, then start (after having finished the chasing 
light) with  displaying a chess-board or a grid on the screen. Then display a 
token on the screnn and move it. After that implement a kind of memory and 
collision detection.
VGA

>> I propose having the arcade game CENTIPEDE that needed to be recreated
> With what controller?
DE1/DE2 board with FPGA testing
>> I'm actually really new on verilog
> How much time do you have for the exercise?
I only have less than a month

Author: Andi Meerbann (Guest)
Posted on:

Rate this post
1 useful
not useful
maybe you could check this here:
http://www.fpga4fun.com/PongGame.html
This tutorial explains how to make the game pong on an FPGA. It's really 
step-by-step and once you have gone through this you should have a basic 
idea how to make a centipede game

To be honest - I'd say that Centipede is already quite complicated for a 
complete newbie. So maybe you want to do something else instead?

Author: Asiong Martinez (Company: Student) (asiongmartinez12)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
oh ok... I would propose another game to my teacher ... do you have any 
suggestions.. not like the game pong type because im pretty sure he 
already know how that works..

Author: Asiong Martinez (Company: Student) (asiongmartinez12)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
@lkmiller could you help me out with the coding

Author: Asiong Martinez (Company: Student) (asiongmartinez12)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Andi Meerbann wrote:
> maybe you could check this here: http://www.fpga4fun.com/PongGame.html
> This tutorial explains how to make the game pong on an FPGA. It's really 
step-by-step and once you have gone through this you should have a basic  idea how 
to make a centipede game

> To be honest - I'd say that Centipede is already quite complicated for a 
complete newbie. So maybe you want to do something else instead?

could you suggest some games thats a bit easier

Author: unsupported (Guest)
Posted on:

Rate this post
1 useful
not useful
No one will do the work for you.
Start with easy tasks as suggested and ask specific questions if you 
have specific problems. A month seems to be ambitious to finish your 
project if you have no verilog knowlwdge... Can you team up with someone 
of your class who has more specific knowledge?

Author: Asiong Martinez (Company: Student) (asiongmartinez12)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
ok... im just going to ask question when I made another game proposition 
thanks for the advice (y)

Author: Lothar Miller (lkmiller) (Moderator)
Posted on:

Rate this post
1 useful
not useful
Asiong M. wrote:
> @lkmiller could you help me out with the coding
I'm doing VHDL, not Verilog.
And for sure something like that will cost me a weeks evenings. And I 
already know how to control all of those things. So it will cost you 
much more time...

> when I made another game proposition thanks for the advice (y)
Propose something that does not need any kind of "memory". Space 
Invaders or Frogger for example would be much more easy done, because 
all of the information (from where to where, collision) is completely 
visible on the screen.

But to do such a thing from the scratch will cost you at least 20 
evenings. Of course you can copy something from somewhere, but then 
what would you learn? You would simply learn how to copy code snippets 
and mash them up in one big soup. Thats not "hardware design", and thats 
not how its working.

As I already said: start with simple, extremely simple things. And when 
they "run" go for bigger ones...

Author: Asiong Martinez (Company: Student) (asiongmartinez12)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
@lkmiller thank you... Im just gonna try that.. thank you so much

Reply

Entering an e-mail address is optional. If you want to receive reply notifications by e-mail, please log in.

Rules — please read before posting

  • Post long source code as attachment, not in the text
  • Posting advertisements is forbidden.

Formatting options

  • [c]C code[/c]
  • [avrasm]AVR assembler code[/avrasm]
  • [vhdl]VHDL code[/vhdl]
  • [code]code in other languages, ASCII drawings[/code]
  • [math]formula (LaTeX syntax)[/math]




Bild automatisch verkleinern, falls nötig
Note: the original post is older than 6 months. Please don't ask any new questions in this thread, but start a new one.