EmbDev.net

Forum: FPGA, VHDL & Verilog UART communication through Nexys 3


Author: Roger Swan (roger237)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
I am currently working on a project which involes manipulation of input 
data, (which can be anything, probably audio or text)  I am using a 
Nexys 3 board which has an on-board USB UART for data communication. 
This UART allows PC applications to communicate with the board using 
standard Windows COM port commands.

As stated on the reference manual of the Nexys 3 board, Serial port data 
is exchanged with the FPGA using a two-wire serial port (TXD/RXD) and 
software flow control (XON/XOFF). After the drivers are installed, I/O 
commands from the PC directed to the COM port will produce serial data 
traffic on the
N17 and N18 FPGA pins.

First of all, do you have any idea of any software I can use to 
literally be sending a file to my board... Also would someone care to 
explain how I would have access to this data as I'm pretty new to these 
things.

I have searched for some tutorials on this but couldnt find any.

Looking forward to your replies! :)

Author: Lothar Miller (lkmiller) (Moderator)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Roger Swan wrote:
> First of all, do you have any idea of any software I can use to
> literally be sending a file to my board...
Serach for "terminal software" and you will find things like Hyperterm 
(part of Windows) or RealTerm, TeraTerm or HTerm...

> Also would someone care to explain how I would have access to this data
> as I'm pretty new to these things.
You will need some kind of HDL description (Verilog or VHDL) to decode 
the bitstream and do something with it.

> I have searched for some tutorials on this but couldnt find any.
Your searched the wrong way/words. There are plenty of RS232 
implementations on the internet...

: Edited by Moderator
Author: Roger Swan (roger237)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Lothar Miller wrote:
> Roger Swan wrote:
>> First of all, do you have any idea of any software I can use to
>> literally be sending a file to my board...
> Serach for "terminal software" and you will find things like Hyperterm
> (part of Windows) or RealTerm, TeraTerm or HTerm...
>

Does that mean that through the use of terminal software I would avoid 
the need of having to write a program of my own in order to be able to 
communicate with my board?

What would be the commands that I need to pass should i for example need 
to send an audio which is 1.3mb through com1 ?

Author: Lothar Miller (lkmiller) (Moderator)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Roger Swan wrote:
> Does that mean that through the use of terminal software I would avoid
> the need of having to write a program of my own in order to be able to
> communicate with my board?
Yes.

> What would be the commands that I need to pass should i for example need
> to send an audio which is 1.3mb through com1 ?
No one sends encoded audio through a RS232 connection...
What should be the purpose this?
What the heck do you want to do at all?

: Edited by Moderator
Author: Roger Swan (roger237)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
I would need to perform amplitude modulation on this data. (note data 
can be either audio or text)

You're saying that it cannot be done ?

Author: jonas biensack (Guest)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
>You're saying that it cannot be done ?

It can be done, but it makes no sense. You need to decode the audio in 
your own special format, transfer over RS232 (even for 2 channel audio 
16 bit @4400kHz it is to slow). Then you need to buffer on the fpga 
board (no realtime calc. because of slow rs232) which needs big ram 
resources on the fpga...

kind regards Jonas

Author: Lothar Miller (lkmiller) (Moderator)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Roger Swan wrote:
> You're saying that it cannot be done ?
Of course it can. But it is senseless! Or let me say: I cannot see any 
sense. Maybe I don't see the purpose of the whole thing. Whats the 
output after processing the data?

> I would need to perform amplitude modulation on this data.
> (note data can be either audio or text)
You are speaking in riddles! AM on text?
Is it something like that:  xxxxXXXXxxxxXXXX?

> (note data can be either audio or text)
Audio is NOT mp3!
mp3 is a encoded data which contains audio information. But you cannot 
simply play it on a speaker.

Author: asdfg (Guest)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Here is a good tutorial on RS232 communication using VHDL.

Youtube-Video "FPGA Tutorial 3. UART in VHDL on Altera DE1 Board"

Reply

Entering an e-mail address is optional. If you want to receive reply notifications by e-mail, please log in.

Rules — please read before posting

  • Post long source code as attachment, not in the text
  • Posting advertisements is forbidden.

Formatting options

  • [c]C code[/c]
  • [avrasm]AVR assembler code[/avrasm]
  • [vhdl]VHDL code[/vhdl]
  • [code]code in other languages, ASCII drawings[/code]
  • [math]formula (LaTeX syntax)[/math]




Bild automatisch verkleinern, falls nötig
Note: the original post is older than 6 months. Please don't ask any new questions in this thread, but start a new one.