EmbDev.net

Forum: ARM programming with GCC/GNU tools LPC2148 ENVIROMENT / DEBBUGER / MP3 SPARKFUN


Author: Jose Gutierrez (jose)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Hello everyone,

I am new using LPC2148 and WINARM tools. Before this i worked with IAR 
and TI microcontrolers.

So i have a MP3 DEVELOPMENT BOARD of SPARKFUN and i get the free SW that 
SPARKFUN has in its web.

I have read that this SW is for WINARM. This programming enviroment is 
new for me and i am in a mess.

So i would like someone could answer me several question i have. It 
would be great.

1.- WINARM is only for programming through programmers notepad. But it 
is only to programming, not to debug. I need to debug throuhg a JTAG to 
check my program and to find out several mistakes. The question is that 
I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THIS. ¿Which tools may I use? Program, JATG, 
etc... Really i need someone who give me a way to programm, debug, and 
really to manage all the differents issues and tools to fell sure in 
this project.

2.- Have anybody use MP3 DEVELOPMENT BOARD with ARM and debugger?

I know there is a lot of questions but it is very important for me to 
know how to iniciate the project and if i have to move to another 
programming enviroment as IAR. I have probe it and there is a lot of 
errors depending on compiler version.

Thanks in advance!!!!

JOSE

Author: Martin Thomas (mthomas) (Moderator)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Jose Gutierrez wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am new using LPC2148 and WINARM tools. Before this i worked with IAR
> and TI microcontrolers.
>
> So i have a MP3 DEVELOPMENT BOARD of SPARKFUN and i get the free SW that
> SPARKFUN has in its web.

I don't know this code so just some general remarks:

> I have read that this SW is for WINARM.

It should be possible to use any other cross-toolchain based on the GNU 
tools (i.e. CS G++, Yagarto, DevkitARM etc.).

> This programming enviroment is new for me and i am in a mess.
>
> So i would like someone could answer me several question i have. It
> would be great.
>
> 1.- WINARM is only for programming through programmers notepad. But it
> is only to programming, not to debug.

Programmers Notepad is just a editor. I expect you mean the menu-item 
"make program". Does this lead to a call of lpc21isp (see the 
output-window in PN)? lpc21isp is just a tool that can transfer data 
into the LPC flash-memory through UART and the build-in bootloader.

> I need to debug throuhg a JTAG to
> check my program and to find out several mistakes. The question is that
> I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THIS. ¿Which tools may I use? Program, JATG,
> etc... Really i need someone who give me a way to programm, debug, and
> really to manage all the differents issues and tools to fell sure in
> this project.

There are a lot of options from very cheap to very expensive. A very 
cheap solution:
- get a Wiggler-type interface (i.e. the ARM-JTAG from Olimex) to 
connect the LPC JTAG-pins to a PC.
- get a software which can "talk" to your JTAG-interface and provides a 
gdb-server. i.e. OpenOCD which is free.
- get a debugger-software which can talk to a gdb-server. You may use 
(arm-elf-)gdb which just offers a simple terminal-style interface, 
Insight-gdb which is a stand-alone programm with a GUI. You may also use 
ddd and Eclipse which offer GUI frontends for gdb.

Search Jim Lynch's Tutorials for ARM "bare-metal" programming for a more 
detailed introduction.

> 2.- Have anybody use MP3 DEVELOPMENT BOARD with ARM and debugger?

I neither have this hardware nor do I know the Sparkfun example code.

> I know there is a lot of questions but it is very important for me to
> know how to iniciate the project and if i have to move to another
> programming enviroment as IAR.

Usually the setup for commercial tools is much easier but you need a 
JTAG-interface that is compatible with the tool. All commercial tools 
offer Evaluation-Versions so you can try yourself.

> I have probe it and there is a lot of
> errors depending on compiler version.

Since you do not give any information on the errors it's difficult to 
help. At least the startup-code has to be rewritten. For "WinARM" the 
code has to be compatible with the GNU assembler which is not compatible 
with  IAR's assembler in EWARM.

Ready-made IDEs with integrated debugging and support for the GNU 
cross-toolchain are for example Rowley's Crossworks for ARM and 
uVision/RV vom Keil/ARM.

Author: Jose (Guest)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Thank you very much!!!!

I am going to probe several options.

I´ll get in touch again if i still have problem.

Best regards!!

Bye.

Reply

Entering an e-mail address is optional. If you want to receive reply notifications by e-mail, please log in.

Rules — please read before posting

  • Post long source code as attachment, not in the text
  • Posting advertisements is forbidden.

Formatting options

  • [c]C code[/c]
  • [avrasm]AVR assembler code[/avrasm]
  • [code]code in other languages, ASCII drawings[/code]
  • [math]formula (LaTeX syntax)[/math]




Bild automatisch verkleinern, falls nötig
Note: the original post is older than 6 months. Please don't ask any new questions in this thread, but start a new one.