EmbDev.net

Forum: ARM programming with GCC/GNU tools MSD + fat system + sd


Author: Jonathan Dumaresq (dumarjo)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Hi all,

it's been a long time that i have not read the forum . Too busy i think
:P

SO I have a project to make a complete MSD solution based on at91sam7s
and at91sam7x series. I have found on this forum a solution but it is
not complete. The fat system is for read file only, I cannot create file
with this libreay.

So I think of usin the efsl 0.2.9rc7_mt for the library and i will try
to merge this with the msd part of the other project.

I wonder what is the status efsl projet ? is it usable ?

regards

jonathan

Author: Jonathan Dumaresq (dumarjo)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Hi all,

This is not answering my question but can be interesting.

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?t...

I just found this page. It seem that many of the sample from atmel has
been ported to been ported to GCC and Iar.

I will look at the MSD part of the package.

and try to merge the efsl + sd lib to it.

regards

Jonathan

Author: Clifford Slocombe (clifford)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Jonathan Dumaresq wrote:
> So I think of usin the efsl 0.2.9rc7_mt for the library and i will try
> to merge this with the msd part of the other project.
>
I wonder why you would choose to use an old version. Current version is
0.3.6


> I wonder what is the status efsl projet ? is it usable ?
>
That question is best addressed by the project itself surely!?
http://efsl.be/

Martin has already done all the work for you here (although admittedly
using an the older 0.2.x source):
http://www.siwawi.arubi.uni-kl.de/avr_projects/arm...

I have used it for an LPC2xxx based serial data logger. It worked.

Forgive my ignorance perhaps, but what is MSD in any case? (Most
Significant Digit was the first thing that sprung to my mind ;-) )

Clifford

Author: Clifford Slocombe (clifford)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Clifford Slocombe wrote:
> Forgive my ignorance perhaps, but what is MSD in any case? (Most
> Significant Digit was the first thing that sprung to my mind ;-) )

Ok, Mass Storage Device seems likely? Why would you not just say that I
hate TLAs ;-)

Author: Jonathan Dumaresq (dumarjo)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Clifford Slocombe wrote:
> Clifford Slocombe wrote:
>> Forgive my ignorance perhaps, but what is MSD in any case? (Most
>> Significant Digit was the first thing that sprung to my mind ;-) )
>
> Ok, Mass Storage Device seems likely? Why would you not just say that I
> hate TLAs ;-)

yeah Mass storage device.  Sorry about the confusion :)

Jonathan

Author: Adam Sar (adamusx)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
it's been a long time that i have not read the forum . Too busy i think
:P

SO I have a project to make a complete MSD solution based on at91sam7s
and at91sam7x series. I have found on this forum a solution but it is
not complete. The fat system is for read file only, I cannot create file
with this libreay.

So I think of usin the efsl 0.2.9rc7_mt for the library and i will try
to merge this with the msd part of the other project.

I wonder what is the status efsl projet ? is it usable ?


"SO I have a project to make a complete MSD solution based on at91sam7s
and at91sam7x series. I have found on this forum a solution but it is
not complete. The fat system is for read file only, I cannot create file
with this libreay."

1. I had the same problem, but i resolved it. You have to add write
function to fat liblary. The read and write function are very similar.
Copy the read function, rename it to write ( int fat_blockread(int fd,
void *buffer)  --> int fat_blockwrite(int fd, void *buffer) ), and
change  sd_readsector(block, buffer, 0, 0); to  sd_writesector(block,
buffer, 0, 0);

2. I also merge msd with ChaN's FAT-Module from
http://www.siwawi.arubi.uni-kl.de/avr_projects/arm...
It's work wery god. I think it is better solution than efsl.

Author: Clifford Slocombe (clifford)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Adam Sar wrote:
> 2. I also merge msd with ChaN's FAT-Module from
> http://www.siwawi.arubi.uni-kl.de/avr_projects/arm...
> It's work wery god. I think it is better solution than efsl.

Be cautious, ChaN's FatFS is only licensed for non-commercial use, which
may or may not be an issue.

Author: Martin Thomas (mthomas) (Moderator)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Clifford Slocombe wrote:
> Be cautious, ChaN's FatFS is only licensed for non-commercial use, which
> may or may not be an issue.
I don't think so. From his "00readme.txt:
<cite>
  The FatFs/Tiny-FatFs module is a free software and there is no
warranty.
  The FatFs/Tiny-FatFs module is opened for education, reserch and
development.
  You can use and/or modify it for personal, non-profit or profit use
without
  any restriction under your responsibility.
</cite>

Author: Hans Nielsen (hansn)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Jonathan Dumaresq wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> it's been a long time that i have not read the forum . Too busy i think
> :P
>
> SO I have a project to make a complete MSD solution based on at91sam7s
> and at91sam7x series. I have found on this forum a solution but it is
> not complete. The fat system is for read file only, I cannot create file
> with this libreay.
>
> So I think of usin the efsl 0.2.9rc7_mt for the library and i will try
> to merge this with the msd part of the other project.
>
> I wonder what is the status efsl projet ? is it usable ?
>
> regards
>
> jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

I'm working on a similar project, I'm using:
AT91SAM7256
SD memory card
The Atmel AT91SAM7X-EK Software Package for the USB part.
EFSL (not the latest..) for the file system.

and it works just fine, at least where I am for the moment.

I will look for the latest EFSL.
One thing that annoys me is that EFSL doesn't support long filenames.

Hans N.

Author: Clifford Slocombe (clifford)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Martin Thomas wrote:
> Clifford Slocombe wrote:
>> Be cautious, ChaN's FatFS is only licensed for non-commercial use, which
>> may or may not be an issue.
> I don't think so. From his "00readme.txt:
> <cite>
>   The FatFs/Tiny-FatFs module is a free software and there is no
> warranty.
>   The FatFs/Tiny-FatFs module is opened for education, reserch and
> development.
>   You can use and/or modify it for personal, non-profit or profit use
> without
>   any restriction under your responsibility.
> </cite>

I stand corrected. I read it, but must have missed the "or profit" part.
I would suggest he re-words it to make it clearer perhaps "The
FatFs/Tiny-FatFs module is opened for education, research and commercial
development".

Oh well, that pleass me in any case since I have an application for AVR
this may fit. Thanks.

Reply

Entering an e-mail address is optional. If you want to receive reply notifications by e-mail, please log in.

Rules — please read before posting

  • Post long source code as attachment, not in the text
  • Posting advertisements is forbidden.

Formatting options

  • [c]C code[/c]
  • [avrasm]AVR assembler code[/avrasm]
  • [code]code in other languages, ASCII drawings[/code]
  • [math]formula (LaTeX syntax)[/math]




Bild automatisch verkleinern, falls nötig
Note: the original post is older than 6 months. Please don't ask any new questions in this thread, but start a new one.