EmbDev.net

Forum: ARM programming with GCC/GNU tools WinARM Newbie Questions


Author: Ben M. (Guest)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Hi folks,

I am an ARM7 beginner (I have already made a lot with
AVR-Mikrocontrollern), and I am now trying to get startet with that.
Firstly, I have build up an Eval-Board, and tried to learn from the
source code of Olimex.com , but I had to (like many people before) find
that the iostr711.h file can not be found. Where can I get this file? Is
there any Makefileeditor available like in WinAVR? Can you give me a few
hints, where to get more information about programming ARMs (tutorial,
examples ...). The sample files on Olimex.com appear to me clearly
designed to be simpler than the ones in WinARM are involved.

(Sorry for my very bad english - I have not spoken a word (in english)
since two years!!!)

Thanks!

Author: Martin Thomas (mthomas) (Moderator)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Ben M. wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am an ARM7 beginner (I have already made a lot with
> AVR-Mikrocontrollern), and I am now trying to get startet with that.
> Firstly, I have build up an Eval-Board, and tried to learn from the
> source code of Olimex.com , but I had to (like many people before) find
> that the iostr711.h file can not be found.

Most of the examples from Olimex are for IAR EWARM. IRC iostr711.h is
part of the EWARM installation. Usually the EWARM header-files for
registers use the non-portable "bitfield to register"-mapping. When
using a GNU toolchain the examples from ST and Anglia should be easier
to port.

> Where can I get this file? Is
> there any Makefileeditor available like in WinAVR?

There is an experimental version comparable to Jörg Wunsch's Mfile for
AVR available from the WinARM page. But try to learn more about
makefiles, use a a Makfile from an example as template and adjust it to
your needs with a text-editor.

> Can you give me a few
> hints, where to get more information about programming ARMs (tutorial,
> examples ...).

There is a thread in this forum from a few days ago which points to
example-sources for STR7 and the GNU toolchain. The documents from ARM
(arm.com) are very useful. Code examples from ARM are usually made for
ADS or RV but most of them can be easily ported to GNU tools.

> The sample files on Olimex.com appear to me clearly
> designed to be simpler than the ones in WinARM are involved.

Maybe. But take care about the EWARM extensions where bitfields are used
to modify bits in hardware-registers. This looks easier to use but is
not portable.

Author: Clifford Slocombe (clifford)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Ben M. wrote:
> Firstly, I have build up an Eval-Board, and tried to learn from the
> source code of Olimex.com , but I had to (like many people before) find
> that the iostr711.h file can not be found.
You know you never actually need those header-files, you can create your
own target header from the information contained in the data sheet or
user manual for the specific processor (remember to declare registers
volatile!).

Ben M. wrote:
> Can you give me a few
> hints, where to get more information about programming ARMs (tutorial,
> examples ...).
You have looked at Martin Thomas' site have you? He didn't appear to
mention it himself, and it is not clear that you have visited it. It is
full of examples:
http://www.siwawi.arubi.uni-kl.de/avr_projects/arm_projects/

A detailed 'from-the-ground-up' tutorial is available
http://www.quantum-leaps.com/resources/papers.htm##GNU-ARM.

Then of course there's always books!
http://www.keil.com/books/armbooks.asp

Clifford

Reply

Entering an e-mail address is optional. If you want to receive reply notifications by e-mail, please log in.

Rules — please read before posting

  • Post long source code as attachment, not in the text
  • Posting advertisements is forbidden.

Formatting options

  • [c]C code[/c]
  • [avrasm]AVR assembler code[/avrasm]
  • [code]code in other languages, ASCII drawings[/code]
  • [math]formula (LaTeX syntax)[/math]




Bild automatisch verkleinern, falls nötig
Note: the original post is older than 6 months. Please don't ask any new questions in this thread, but start a new one.