EmbDev.net

Forum: ARM programming with GCC/GNU tools H-JTAG with WinARM


Author: Thomas Fernando (thomas_f)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Hello colleagues,

I have been able to get my board to communicate with H-JTAG and loaded a
program to check the working.
I wish to use the de-bugging facility provided with this tool with the
WinARM toolchain.
Can anyone point me to some documentation(preferable cookbookish :)) I
can use to get started?

TIA
Thomas F

Author: Martin Thomas (mthomas) (Moderator)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Thomas Fernando wrote:

> I have been able to get my board to communicate with H-JTAG and loaded a
> program to check the working.
> I wish to use the de-bugging facility provided with this tool with the
> WinARM toolchain.
> Can anyone point me to some documentation(preferable cookbookish :)) I
> can use to get started?

At least the last time I looked at H-JTAG the only debugger-"API" was a
RDI-interface provided by a DLL. I'm not sure if the gdb included in the
WinARM packages can talk to a "RDI-dll" as in H-JTAG, but I don't think
so. You may try the Codesourcery G++ lite package. There is a binary
included in this package, I do not recall the exact filename but it
should be something like *-sprite.exe. IRC this can be configured to use
a RDI-dll and should provide a gdb-server. Sorry, not "cookbokish" but
hopefully a hint in the right direction - I have not tested this myself.
There is some documentation in the Codesourcery package.

As an alternative take a look at OpenOCD, it offers a gdb-server and can
"talk" to Wiggler-type JTAG-interfaces.

Author: Thomas Fernando (thomas_f)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Hi Martin,

I assumed that since H-JTAG was bundled in utils , someone had done the
needful.
I anyway downloaded it from twentyone's blog.
Thanks for responding.

Regards
Thomas

Martin Thomas wrote:
> Thomas Fernando wrote:
>
>> I have been able to get my board to communicate with H-JTAG and loaded a
>> program to check the working.
>> I wish to use the de-bugging facility provided with this tool with the
>> WinARM toolchain.
>> Can anyone point me to some documentation(preferable cookbookish :)) I
>> can use to get started?
>
> At least the last time I looked at H-JTAG the only debugger-"API" was a
> RDI-interface provided by a DLL. I'm not sure if the gdb included in the
> WinARM packages can talk to a "RDI-dll" as in H-JTAG, but I don't think
> so. You may try the Codesourcery G++ lite package. There is a binary
> included in this package, I do not recall the exact filename but it
> should be something like *-sprite.exe. IRC this can be configured to use
> a RDI-dll and should provide a gdb-server. Sorry, not "cookbokish" but
> hopefully a hint in the right direction - I have not tested this myself.
> There is some documentation in the Codesourcery package.
>
> As an alternative take a look at OpenOCD, it offers a gdb-server and can
> "talk" to Wiggler-type JTAG-interfaces.

Author: Martin Thomas (mthomas) (Moderator)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Thomas Fernando wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> I assumed that since H-JTAG was bundled in utils , someone had done the
> needful.
> I anyway downloaded it from twentyone's blog.
> Thanks for responding.

Well, just because a tool is included in the WinARM package it does not
mean that it is "fully integrated". The tools just reflect my personal
taste and I have included H-JTAG because of the flash-programming
support for a lot of targets.

Reply

Entering an e-mail address is optional. If you want to receive reply notifications by e-mail, please log in.

Rules — please read before posting

  • Post long source code as attachment, not in the text
  • Posting advertisements is forbidden.

Formatting options

  • [c]C code[/c]
  • [avrasm]AVR assembler code[/avrasm]
  • [code]code in other languages, ASCII drawings[/code]
  • [math]formula (LaTeX syntax)[/math]




Bild automatisch verkleinern, falls nötig
Note: the original post is older than 6 months. Please don't ask any new questions in this thread, but start a new one.