EmbDev.net

Forum: ARM programming with GCC/GNU tools Problems with Yagarto/eclipse/gdb with JFlash Server


Author: Peter Ross (peterross)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Hi I have been unable to use the debugger. It appears to connect
properly, I can use commands to set up my registers for proper timing,
but when I try to single step, run, or anything else it errors out with
an exception. I also have no view of the registers or variables in the
respective windows. Any ideas why this happens?
Thanks

Author: Martin Thomas (mthomas) (Moderator)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Peter Ross wrote:
> Hi I have been unable to use the debugger. It appears to connect
> properly, I can use commands to set up my registers for proper timing,
> but when I try to single step, run, or anything else it errors out with
> an exception. I also have no view of the registers or variables in the
> respective windows. Any ideas why this happens?
> Thanks

Not enough information, so it's difficult to help (at least for me).
What is "the debugger", which "exception". AFAIK J-Flash does not
provide a "debugger-server" but obviously it somehow has some support
for this since you can set register-values. Did you visit the Segger
web-site to read the information on J-Link RDI, J-Link GDB server?

I have not tested this software since I only have the IAR OEM version of
the J-Link which does not include the licenses for RDI and gdb-server
(and I have not bought the additional licenses) AFAIK the SAM-ICE does
include the licenses but only when connected to an AT91. Maybe someone
who has licenses or a SAM-ICE connected to an AT91 can jump in and give
some information.

Martin Thomas

Author: Peter Ross (peterross)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Martin Thomas wrote:


> Peter Ross wrote:
>> Hi I have been unable to use the debugger. It appears to connect
>> properly, I can use commands to set up my registers for proper timing,
>> but when I try to single step, run, or anything else it errors out with
>> an exception. I also have no view of the registers or variables in the
>> respective windows. Any ideas why this happens?
>> Thanks
>
> Not enough information, so it's difficult to help (at least for me).
> What is "the debugger", which "exception". AFAIK J-Flash does not
> provide a "debugger-server" but obviously it somehow has some support
> for this since you can set register-values. Did you visit the Segger
> web-site to read the information on J-Link RDI, J-Link GDB server?
>
> I have not tested this software since I only have the IAR OEM version of
> the J-Link which does not include the licenses for RDI and gdb-server
> (and I have not bought the additional licenses) AFAIK the SAM-ICE does
> include the licenses but only when connected to an AT91. Maybe someone
> who has licenses or a SAM-ICE connected to an AT91 can jump in and give
> some information.
>
> Martin Thomas

I don't think it has anything to do with the J-Link, since that seems to
be communicating properly. In the debug window of Eclipse the system
reports Thread[0] is suspended, but under that it says "1 <symbol is not
available> 0x00000000". I do not know why it is not finding the symbols.
I am loading a .elf file which should contain what it needs. I can view
registers and their values are correct, but there is no breakpoint at
main() and the locals do not appear in the variables window.

Author: Michael Fischer (mifi)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Hello Peter,

>Not enough information, so it's difficult to help (at least for me).
>What is "the debugger", which "exception".
Perhaps we should ignore your question too, if you can not give use
some more information?

It would be nice to get some information about:

- which J-Link you are using, Hardware V5, V6, SAM-ICE?
- which features are enabled?
- which version of J-Link GDB Server you are using?
- which target you are using?

Take a look here:
http://www.yagarto.de/howto/jlink/index.html

Here you can find a small example for Insight and Eclipse. The best is
to check it with Eclipse first. If this is working try to use Eclipse.

Regards,

Michael

Author: Michael Fischer (mifi)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Sorry, it must be:

The best is to check it with Insight first. If this is working try to
use Eclipse.

Regards,

Michael

Author: Peter Ross (peterross)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Michael Fischer wrote:
> Sorry, it must be:
>
> The best is to check it with Insight first. If this is working try to
> use Eclipse.
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael


Thanks, I'll give this a try. I have some better luck, I relinked code @
0x00000000 and now it sees symbols. Next is to get it to stop the
watchdog from expiring, even though I turn them off in the
initialisation.

Pete

Author: rathnakar (Guest)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Hello,

   i am trying to connect J-Link with STM32L152D-EVAL board kit as a 
target device b ut i am getting the error (Error: STM32: connecting to 
CPU via connect under reset failed). Please give me some solution for 
this problem.

thank you

Author: Lyon (Guest)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Hi,
This thread is very old - many things changed since - for your 
problem(s) better to look out this thread: 
http://embdev.net/topic/384016#new, and use it - far easier with...

Reply

Entering an e-mail address is optional. If you want to receive reply notifications by e-mail, please log in.

Rules — please read before posting

  • Post long source code as attachment, not in the text
  • Posting advertisements is forbidden.

Formatting options

  • [c]C code[/c]
  • [avrasm]AVR assembler code[/avrasm]
  • [code]code in other languages, ASCII drawings[/code]
  • [math]formula (LaTeX syntax)[/math]




Bild automatisch verkleinern, falls nötig
Note: the original post is older than 6 months. Please don't ask any new questions in this thread, but start a new one.