EmbDev.net

Forum: ARM programming with GCC/GNU tools Win32 error 6


Author: Moses Mwaura (gichanga)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Hello dear forum members.
I recently downloaded WinARM and created the appropriate directory for
it (c:\WinARM), as well as setting the paths (environment variables).
The problem is i get the following error:

         AllocationBase 0x0, BaseAddress 0x71590000, RegionSize 0xD0000,
State
         0x10000
         C:\WinARM\utils\bin\sh.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for
cygwin's heap,
         Win32
         error 6

I have a clue, installing cygwin. I was wondering whether this is the
only way out, if at all it is the way out.

************************************************************************ 
*********
Thanks for WinARM

Author: Martin Thomas (Guest)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Moses Mwaura wrote:
> Hello dear forum members.
> I recently downloaded WinARM and created the appropriate directory for
> it (c:\WinARM), as well as setting the paths (environment variables).
> The problem is i get the following error:
>
>          AllocationBase 0x0, BaseAddress 0x71590000, RegionSize 0xD0000,
> State
>          0x10000
>          C:\WinARM\utils\bin\sh.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for
> cygwin's heap,
>          Win32
>          error 6
>
> I have a clue, installing cygwin. I was wondering whether this is the
> only way out, if at all it is the way out.
>
> ************************************************************************ 
*********
> Thanks for WinARM

I have not seen this message before and did not receive a error-report
about this. The sh.exe in WinARM is from the MinGW-project and there
should be no need to install cygwin. Is this an output when you do a
"make all"? What is the ouput of sh --version and make --version? Can
you start sh.exe? Which OS?

Martin Thomas

Author: Moses Mwaura (gichanga)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
> I have not seen this message before and did not receive a error-report
> about this. The sh.exe in WinARM is from the MinGW-project and there
> should be no need to install cygwin. Is this an output when you do a
> "make all"? What is the ouput of sh --version and make --version? Can
> you start sh.exe? Which OS?
>
> Martin Thomas

Hi
The output from sh is as above, that is....

AllocationBase 0x0, BaseAddress 0x71590000, RegionSize 0xD0000, State
0x10000
C:\WinARM\utils\bin\sh.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's
heap, Win32
error 6

Actually, all executables in ../utils/bin (C:\WinARM\utils\bin) give the
above as immediate output (no version numbers, or the like).
I am running Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2 (on a
laptop if this information helps)

Thanks for response

moses gichangA

Author: Martin Thomas (Guest)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Moses Mwaura wrote:
>> I have not seen this message before and did not receive a error-report
>> about this. The sh.exe in WinARM is from the MinGW-project and there
>> should be no need to install cygwin. Is this an output when you do a
>> "make all"? What is the ouput of sh --version and make --version? Can
>> you start sh.exe? Which OS?
>>
>> Martin Thomas
>
> Hi
> The output from sh is as above, that is....
>
> AllocationBase 0x0, BaseAddress 0x71590000, RegionSize 0xD0000, State
> 0x10000
> C:\WinARM\utils\bin\sh.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's
> heap, Win32
> error 6
>
> Actually, all executables in ../utils/bin (C:\WinARM\utils\bin) give the
> above as immediate output (no version numbers, or the like).
> I am running Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2 (on a
> laptop if this information helps)

OK, if you search for "Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's" with google
there are a lot of results which present some possible solutions (check
for cygwin in patch, retarget the mingw-dll etc.). I currently do not
have the time to check all this. Since the problem should be caused by
the WinARM-"build-utils" (by the mingw-dll used by the utils) I have
done yet another collection of the needed utils without
dll-dependancies. The files in the test-collection come from
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/ (Clifford mentioned this source some
month ago).

For a test: please download the file WinARM_utils_testing_20060719.zip
from
http://www.siwawi.arubi.uni-kl.de/avr_projects/arm...
Replace the contents of the directory \WinARM\utils\bin in your current
installation with the files in the "testing"-archive and try a "make
all".

Martin Thomas

Author: Moses Mwaura (gichanga)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
> OK, if you search for "Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's" with google
> there are a lot of results which present some possible solutions (check
> for cygwin in patch, retarget the mingw-dll etc.). I currently do not
> have the time to check all this. Since the problem should be caused by
> the WinARM-"build-utils" (by the mingw-dll used by the utils) I have
> done yet another collection of the needed utils without
> dll-dependancies. The files in the test-collection come from
> http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/ (Clifford mentioned this source some
> month ago).
>
> For a test: please download the file WinARM_utils_testing_20060719.zip
> from
> http://www.siwawi.arubi.uni-kl.de/avr_projects/arm...
> Replace the contents of the directory \WinARM\utils\bin in your current
> installation with the files in the "testing"-archive and try a "make
> all".
>
> Martin Thomas

It works fine now with the new downloaded files.
Thanks!

moses gichangA

Author: Kstich (Guest)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
I have also had this issue.  I was able to correct the problem by the
following steps:
1. Make sure that there is only one copy of cygwin1.dll on your computer
2. Clean up your PATH environment variable.

The order of the paths does matter.  The path closest to the front will
have priority, especially when you have multiple cygwin1.dll's.

For example:
c:\gnuarm\bin;c:\cygwin\bin;c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin;c:\winavr\bin\;
is different than
c:\winavr\bin\;c:\gnuarm\bin;c:\cygwin\bin;c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin;

Cheers.
Kelly

Moses Mwaura wrote:
>> OK, if you search for "Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's" with google
>> there are a lot of results which present some possible solutions (check
>> for cygwin in patch, retarget the mingw-dll etc.). I currently do not
>> have the time to check all this. Since the problem should be caused by
>> the WinARM-"build-utils" (by the mingw-dll used by the utils) I have
>> done yet another collection of the needed utils without
>> dll-dependancies. The files in the test-collection come from
>> http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/ (Clifford mentioned this source some
>> month ago).
>>
>> For a test: please download the file WinARM_utils_testing_20060719.zip
>> from
>> http://www.siwawi.arubi.uni-kl.de/avr_projects/arm...
>> Replace the contents of the directory \WinARM\utils\bin in your current
>> installation with the files in the "testing"-archive and try a "make
>> all".
>>
>> Martin Thomas
>
> It works fine now with the new downloaded files.
> Thanks!
>
> moses gichangA

Author: Saleel Kudchadker (Guest)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
I get that error randomly and my machine has only one cygwin1.dll.  I do 
away with the error by restarting.

Reply

Entering an e-mail address is optional. If you want to receive reply notifications by e-mail, please log in.

Rules — please read before posting

  • Post long source code as attachment, not in the text
  • Posting advertisements is forbidden.

Formatting options

  • [c]C code[/c]
  • [avrasm]AVR assembler code[/avrasm]
  • [code]code in other languages, ASCII drawings[/code]
  • [math]formula (LaTeX syntax)[/math]




Bild automatisch verkleinern, falls nötig
Note: the original post is older than 6 months. Please don't ask any new questions in this thread, but start a new one.