EmbDev.net

Forum: ARM programming with GCC/GNU tools Using WinARM on Windows 98


Author: Andrew Perkins (aperkins)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Hello,

I am an avid Atmel and WinAVR user, and have decided to "jump ship" and
start working with Philips LPC2000 processors.  I saw WinARM was
available and was very impressed.  As a "newbie" to WinARM, I am
experiencing some problems.  They may have something to do with my MinGW
tools I am using, but I am not sure.

I tried at first doing a make of some of the example LPC projects, and
got an error on the compile:  "arm-elf-gcc: _spawnv: No such file or
directory"

It has this same error whether or not a make is performed.  arm-elf-gcc
compiler is being found, but anytime a file to be compiled is typed, it
says "No such file or directory".  I followed Martin Thomas's suggestion
and changed my path to
"C:\WinARM\bin;C:\WinAVR\bin;C:\WinAVR\utils\bin", so as to use the
GNU-make and other tools included with WinAVR.  My WinAVR release is
about a year old, and has been doing well.

Are there any suggestions I might try.  I'm not sure why the compiler is
not seeing the input files.

I am using Windows 98SE at the moment, but in the next few months might
upgrade my system to either 2000 or XP.  I have also thought of doing a
dual-boot, and doing some work in the Linux platform as well.

Thank You,

Andrew Perkins

Author: Clifford Slocombe (clifford)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Post the exact text including the compiler invokation itself. Copy&Paste
it rather than manually transcribing it. This can be done on a console
window by right-click->Edit=>Mark, select the text with the mouse, and
press enter, then past it into the forum.

Clifford

Author: Clifford Slocombe (clifford)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Clifford Slocombe wrote:
> right-click->Edit->Mark

Actually just right-click->Mark

Author: Stefan (Guest)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Andrew Perkins wrote:
> I am using Windows 98SE at the moment, ...

Same configuration, same problem. Hope someone can help
http://www.mikrocontroller.net/forum/read-2-340687.html

Ciao
Stefan

Author: Martin Thomas (Guest)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Stefan wrote:
> Andrew Perkins wrote:
>> I am using Windows 98SE at the moment, ...
>
> Same configuration, same problem. Hope someone can help
> http://www.mikrocontroller.net/forum/read-2-340687.html

Thanks Stefan for the detailled report in the German forum. I will try
to answer in this forum. I prefer this forums since information will
also be available for non-German-speaking users.

The probelem seems to be Win9X-specific. I have tested with W2k und XP
without problems and have no additionl bug-reports.

The basic problem seems to be some error in the gcc-source code of
Version 4.1.0 (maybe older versions too) which couses arm-elf-gcc.exe:
_spawnv: NO such file or directory with MinGW-builds (the WinARM
components are build with MinGW/minsys).

Stefan already found the patch that seems to fix this in the
gcc-bugzilla (patch against file pex-win32.c in 4.1.0). This patch is
not applied to the sources that have been used to build the componentes
for WinARM 3/06.

Stefan also asked about the sources for WinARM. There is no source for
"the WinARM". WinARM is just a collection. The gcc-Compiler source-code
can be found on gcc.gnu.org some smaller pathes are needed which I have
not documented but it's getting easier to build the "native" GNU-tools
from version to version. Good sources of information are the
devkitpro-patches, the crosstool-scripts and the MinGW-wikki.

Stefan also asked about a ready made fixed WinARM. I don't know if
somebody creates his own WinARM. Since the gcc 4.1.0 in WinARM 3/06
seems to cause the problem you could try other toolchains first before
creating your own one which is rather time-consuming. Give gnuarm and
devkitpro/devkitarm a try. devkitpro is also build with MinGW so maybe
there is the same issue there. gnuarm is build with and for cygwin. The
gcc-build-process uses other settings for cygwin and the compiler uses
the cygwin-runtime so there is a chance the the error will not appear
there since the cygwin-runtime should have a "interface-layer" for the
"spawn". You can also try an older WinARM version with gcc 4.0.x or
3.x.x. Some are still available from my web-page.

Usualy I create a new WinARM-collection some weeks after the release of
a new gcc-version. Since the patch for the "Win9x spawn-issue" seems to
be already included in the gcc-CVS I expect that the problem will be
gone in the next gcc release.

(Hey - put some RAM into your old computer and install a "real"
operating system. Win2000 is fast enough on my old
"microcontroller-development-box": PII-400, 3*128MB RAM, old and slow
harddisk. Old Win2000-licenses and RAM are cheap - search ebay.)

Martin Thomas

Author: Stefan (Guest)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Martin, thank you for your comments.

I tried without success
  WinARM-3.4.3 (issue with exec)
  WinARM-4.0.2 (issue with exec)
  WinARM-4.0.2 patched (issue with exec)
  WinARM 4.1.0 (first report, issue with spawnv) and
  devkitPro/devkitARM-4.1.0 (issue with spawnv)

I tried with success
  GNUARM-4.1.0 (Cygwin version)

Now i'm in the boat again ;-)

Author: Andrew Perkins (aperkins)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Martin Thomas wrote:

> The basic problem seems to be some error in the gcc-source code of
> Version 4.1.0 (maybe older versions too) which couses arm-elf-gcc.exe:
> _spawnv: NO such file or directory with MinGW-builds (the WinARM
> components are build with MinGW/minsys).
> Stefan already found the patch that seems to fix this in the
> gcc-bugzilla (patch against file pex-win32.c in 4.1.0). This patch is
> not applied to the sources that have been used to build the componentes
> for WinARM 3/06.

I tried using the old utilites, and they had the same results as the
ones included with WinAVR (the same spawnv, No file found error).  So it
seems to make sense that there is a problem with this particular build
of GCC, that is Win98 specific.

I was successful compiling my code using WinARM on a friend's WinXP
mahine.

>
> (Hey - put some RAM into your old computer and install a "real"
> operating system. Win2000 is fast enough on my old
> "microcontroller-development-box": PII-400, 3*128MB RAM, old and slow
> harddisk. Old Win2000-licenses and RAM are cheap - search ebay.)
> Martin Thomas

I, like you, am using a PII-400 and it has served me well for years, but
all good things must come to an end.  I don't have the heart to put
Win2K on it; it just needs to retire and be buried under eons of dust.
One day some future Indiana Jones might find my code on there and try to
decipher the C Language or something.  I'm getting an Athlon-939 machine
in a few days, and will put XP and Mepis (or Knoppix, haven't yet
decided) on it.

Thank you for your help everyone.

Andrew Perkins

Author: Andrew Perkins (aperkins)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Stefan wrote:
> Martin, thank you for your comments.
>
> I tried without success
>   WinARM-3.4.3 (issue with exec)
>   WinARM-4.0.2 (issue with exec)
>   WinARM-4.0.2 patched (issue with exec)
>   WinARM 4.1.0 (first report, issue with spawnv) and
>   devkitPro/devkitARM-4.1.0 (issue with spawnv)
>
> I tried with success
>   GNUARM-4.1.0 (Cygwin version)
>
> Now i'm in the boat again ;-)

I tried the 4.1.0 Cygwin version of GNUARM Windows but was missing a DLL
file (international support 377 dll built into another dll apparently)
that kept it from working for me.  Glad to hear it works for you.

Andrew Perkins

Author: Martin Thomas (Guest)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Andrew Perkins wrote:

> I, like you, am using a PII-400 and it has served me well for years, but
> all good things must come to an end.  I don't have the heart to put
> Win2K on it; it just needs to retire and be buried under eons of dust.
> One day some future Indiana Jones might find my code on there and try to
> decipher the C Language or something.  I'm getting an Athlon-939 machine
> in a few days, and will put XP and Mepis (or Knoppix, haven't yet
> decided) on it.

Andrew, if you don't mind, please keep your Win9x under your desk for
some weeks. It would be nice if users like Stefan and you who know about
the current issue can test a future WinARM-release. All Win9x-boxes I
knew seem to be "buried" too and also wait for "some Indiana Jones".

GCC 4.1.1 is scheduled for May 15 if I have interpreted the release plan
corrently. So the next WinARM should be available in June if I find the
time to create the collection.

Martin Thomas

Author: Andrew Perkins (aperkins)
Posted on:

Rate this post
0 useful
not useful
Martin Thomas wrote:
> Andrew Perkins wrote:
>
>> I, like you, am using a PII-400 and it has served me well for years, but
>> all good things must come to an end.  I don't have the heart to put
>> Win2K on it; it just needs to retire and be buried under eons of dust.
>> One day some future Indiana Jones might find my code on there and try to
>> decipher the C Language or something.  I'm getting an Athlon-939 machine
>> in a few days, and will put XP and Mepis (or Knoppix, haven't yet
>> decided) on it.
>
> Andrew, if you don't mind, please keep your Win9x under your desk for
> some weeks. It would be nice if users like Stefan and you who know about
> the current issue can test a future WinARM-release. All Win9x-boxes I
> knew seem to be "buried" too and also wait for "some Indiana Jones".
>
> GCC 4.1.1 is scheduled for May 15 if I have interpreted the release plan
> corrently. So the next WinARM should be available in June if I find the
> time to create the collection.
>
> Martin Thomas

I would be all to happy to test anything out.  Thank you for your help.

Andrew Perkins

Reply

Entering an e-mail address is optional. If you want to receive reply notifications by e-mail, please log in.

Rules — please read before posting

  • Post long source code as attachment, not in the text
  • Posting advertisements is forbidden.

Formatting options

  • [c]C code[/c]
  • [avrasm]AVR assembler code[/avrasm]
  • [code]code in other languages, ASCII drawings[/code]
  • [math]formula (LaTeX syntax)[/math]




Bild automatisch verkleinern, falls nötig
Note: the original post is older than 6 months. Please don't ask any new questions in this thread, but start a new one.